Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Sunday


Happy Easter!

This morning some of us got up with the call to prayer at 4:30 to go to the 6:30 Easter service at the Garden Tomb. We walked in the dark with the security following us in the cars all the way to the Garden Tomb.

We got there at 6:00 and there was a huge line. I sat in line and read the story of the resurrection from John and Luke. I also read 3Nephi 12 when the Savior appears to the Americas, which was a really good experience for me.

When we got in the garden of the Garden Tomb it was packed with benches and chairs. The people poured in, but unlike the festivities of Good Friday everyone was very kind and courteous in their maneuvers. I found a seat right in front of the pulpit which was carved with the words "Jesus is alive".



The service was awesome. There was a band set up by the Tomb that turned out to be a Christian rock band. The service was so awesome, we sang and volunteers from the Garden Tomb spoke about Christ and the resurrection. I thought the messages were very nice and celebrated Christ living again. I loved being around people, who although they were not of my religion, were good people trying to live good lives. I loved it. Afterward we talked to the volunteers at the Garden, one in particular being Roy from England who gave us our first tour of the Garden Tomb. He is a good guy and I'd say that he is a friend of the Mormons.


The band members with some Asian women who would not get out of our picture.

Our friend Roy

We left the Garden Tomb after the amazing service and headed over to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher to try to get into High Mass. We were there about an hour early. We got to watch the Armenian service and listen to the priests chant. We saw Father Samuel once again and this time he personally let us up onto the balcony. We were up there for a good twenty minutes this time but we had a big group that turned out to be a irreverent and we got kicked out. (It really bothers me when we get privileges from the Priests and Monks who trust us and people don't respect their holy places and other such things. But anyway...) When then stuck around in the crowd but it was just too much to wait for an hour or so, so we left with the intentions of seeing what was going on at other churches.




But once we were out we just tried to find somewhere to eat, since none of us had breakfast or lunch. We got some decent falafel and then headed home.

Tonight we have conference and I'm really excited for it. I think it'll be really nice after participating in other religions' activities today to finally listen to and learn from something that I know is true and from leaders that I sustain and support. It will be so refreshing!

We leave for Jordan tomorrow for four days. Exciting! I don't even know what to expect at all, but it will be a grand adventure.

Today I challenge you to take a minute away from the day and to find your own quiet time to celebrate Easter in your heart. I know that Christ came to this earth to live a perfect life for us, atone for our sins, die for us, and live again! This is the miracle of his plan for us and his perfect all encompassing love. Seek feeling this love for yourself and I know that you will. Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I cant even imagine what it would be like to be at the Garden Tomb. In my mind I picture it without rockbands... but still. That's incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with Manda. haha But really. That's an awesome experience Madi. So cool that you got to be there during the holiday.

    ReplyDelete