Sunday, January 10, 2010

Carillon Bells at the YMCA

Okay...so...we did so much today and a lot happened, so I'll try to be a good blogger/journal keeper and record all of the details.

I woke up this morning, once again, to the call to prayer. I went back to sleep after and woke up just in time for breakfast. After breakfast I got ready for the day and met my group in the front lobby outside of my bedroom.

From the center we went to the old city through Damascus gate and headed for the Dome of the Rock. As usual, on our way to our desination we met with many interesting people. One merchant said as we passed, "smile, always smile!" and that made me laugh. One of my favorite parts of this city is the kids here. They just play in the city, I saw one kid attempting to roller blade down the bumpy streets today. That was humerous; he would go down a little bit and then he would come up again and then roll right back down. Cute. At one point we were trying to find a gate but we were so lost and confused and a boy helped us find our way. His name was Muhamnad, and he was 14 years old. He likes soccer and wants to go to Brazil one day and play there. He helped us find our way out and I gave him a 9 shuckles, which is about a dollar fifty, which he was very grateful for.

On our way to the Dome of the Rock we had to go through a security check point, which led us to the Western Wall. We stopped and looked at it but didn't have a big enough group to go up close because we only had 2 boys and 2 girls, and at the Western Wall there are separate sections for boys and girls, and we must always be in groups of at least 3. So we looked at it from afar, I'm sure I will go back there sometime. When we passed through another security check point to go to the Dome of the Rock the security guards told us that it was closed until 12:30. Our main mission for that day was to go to the Jerusalem YMCA and meet up with one of the brothers from a service couple that works here. Every Sunday he playes the music for the bell towers and strikes the bells to indicate the time. Yesterday he invited my roommate and I to go up with him and play some songs, so us two and two other boys went. That was definitely the highlight of my day!

We got to practice a little bit and then we got to play songs from the bell tower. We played LDS hymns, which Brother Whipple (the service guy) said that the people actually really like, because the music is just so beautiful. I played Our Savior's Love. It was very pretty and exhilerating to hear your music echo throughout all of Jerusalem. I loved that.


On our way back we went to the Dome of the Rock, which was now open. That was cool and it was really pretty close up. From there we went home and I did homework for the rest of the afternoon.

We walked so much today, I can't even tell you! And not only did we walk a lot, but it was all hills and stairs. We got lost a lot, which we kind of liked because then we figured out how to find our way around better. Once I asked some taxi drivers for directions to the YMCA (I was still with my group), and one gave us directions and the other was just looking at me (creepy) and said "You are very beautiful"....uhhh, we'll be seeing you...we got out of there quickly. That was the most uncomfortable I have felt today, so it wasn't too bad. It was such a carefree day, I really, really enjoyed it. We met a guy who was doing study abroad, I can't remember where now, but he is visiting Jerusalem on his way home. He goes to the University of Massachusetts, it was fun to meet someone our age from the states here.

Every day before today when we went out into the city, I always felt kind of exposed and wondered why BYU trusted us so much just to go out and wander in such dangerous areas. But today, for the first time, I felt completely safe and comfortable in my surroundings. I was still very careful and attentive, but I didn't feel uneasy or uncomfortable at any time. I really enjoyed that feeling and I think it better allows me to really enjoy what's around me and observe the culture.

This is the end of today's post, so until next time.....להתראות מחר!

By the way, I have had an epiphany. I have figured out why BYU students sound and seem so smart! It's because they call any kind of homework they have "studying". For instance, we have reading to do in all of our classes, and I just call it reading, cause it is, but if you ask a BYU student what they're going to do this afternoon they say "well...I think I'm going to go up to such and such a place and study all afternoon." So ha! BYU, I've got you pinned, and I now know one of your strategies to seem extremely academic.
**Explanation of the pictures: The first video is of us coming up to the gates after being out in the city. I took it mostly to demonstrate what the Call to Prayer sounds like and how loud it is. The Muslims pray 5 times a day, so this song goes out 5 times each day. It is what wakes me up in the morning. The second picture is of me and Muhamnad right outside of Jafa gate after he helped us. The third picture is of me outside of the Western Wall. The fourth picture is of the YMCA where we played the bells. You can see the bell tower clearly here. The second video is of me playing Our Savior's Love on the bells for the whole city. So cool! The last picture is of me and my friends Michelle, Jason, and Greg outside of the Dome of the Rock.

1 comment:

  1. Madison- What an amazing experience you get to have! I am jealous! I am so glad you are keeping this "journal" and that we all get to follow along. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete