Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Preparing for Egypt!

The day is almost here, it is almost time for our week and a half in Egypt! I am so excited, ours days are jam packed with things like seeing the pyramids, going to museums, and camel safaris.

Today we had our Egypt orientation, where they pretty much scared us all to death about getting traveler's diarrhea. Seriously, the things they told us....awful. Last semester 60% of the students got diarrhea, other wise known as "Cairo Quickstep", "Luxorbelly", or "Ramsey's Revenge". Since sometimes in the past (and ALWAYS at the most inconvenient time ever) I have been vulnerable to this particular sickness, I have vowed to fast in Egypt. I will only eat what the school feeds us and I will not even give a street vendor the chance to entice me with their food. Sickness is not an option for me. My teachers said a lot of other, funny, questionably inappropriate things that I will leave out of this email, as to not be too graphic. You're welcome.

As for the rest of the day, classes were good and I had my attentive moments and my sleepy moments. Mostly sleepy though. In my Judaism class I could not stay awake for the life of me and I was sitting in the second row dead center. Not the best place to fall asleep. But the good news for me is that it seemed that whenever I was with it he was talking about the same thing as before. So maybe I didn't miss too much?

My Islam teacher is a cute Arabic man who has very sloppy handwriting, always stops the lectures to tell us to listen to him, and snaps his fingers at us when we don't immediately answer a question he asks. Most people don't like him, and while I don't think he's a great teacher he means well and is a good person, or so it seems. Although today he didn't realize that class was over and kept lecturing and whenever someone would raise their hand to tell him he would interupt them and have them read from the book. It was actually really funny, and when he finally realized that he was over he said "We are done, aren't we?" and immediately everyone said "yes!" and got up and left. It was kind of funny, like I said, a lot of people can't stand him but I actually like him.

Beyond that nothing exciting happened today. Just a TON of reading in the Old Testament, we finished Leviticus today, and a paper I want to finish before I leave for Egypt. So with that I must get back to being scholarly, until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun riding the camels! My dad fell off three times before he could get it right, so hold on tight! Thinking of you all the way back in Rexburg! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madison - what the heck? You haven't posted in OVER A WEEK!!!!! I'm on the edge of my seat. I love following your blog! Signed, your loving aunt....

    ReplyDelete