Saturday, January 9, 2010

Orson Hyde Memorial Park

Today was my first Sabbath day in the Holy Land. I slept well last night and I think I am adjusted to the time change here. We just got finished with church (I was going to say “got back” from church, but church is actually in the Jerusalem Center, which is a cool and different thing….church is in my home). Right now I am sitting on my balcony in the warm Mediterranean sun writing this blog. It is a beautiful day in Jerusalem, and I have to admit, weather like this makes me wish that I could break out my swimsuit and go sun bathing. But instead I am sitting in my church clothes with sleeves down to my elbow and tights covering my legs.

Speaking of being fully clothed and modest, today when I went down to eat breakfast, I was sent back because my dress wasn’t long enough! I couldn’t believe it. I don’t resent that they made me go back and change (or in my case put tights on), but I really was in great surprise over this. I went down to eat this morning in full confidence that I was dressed appropriately, my dress to my mid calf, and my arms and chest covered. But I guess I was wrong. Oh well. The leader who sent me back made a good point in that the men serving us our breakfast are used to and comfortable with the way their daughters and wives would dress, which is completely covered in the traditional religious attire. I can see how it would be offensive that I show a few more inches then I should on my legs while I am eating breakfast. And I mean that in all seriousness, I want to be respectful and not offend anybody.

Anyway, moving on to less small and petty matters. Today church was really good. I always hear members talk about how anywhere you go in the world the church is organized the same, and I’ve always appreciated and known that fact, but this week it was especially comforting to me. We met the members of our Branch. They all seem like great people. A lot of them are American but a few of them are not. The woman who gave the closing prayer in Relief Society spoke a different language, I’m not sure what it was. Also, our Relief Society president grew up here in Jerusalem in a very religious family (not LDS) and she moved to Provo to get her PhD at BYU where she was converted. I am surrounded by interesting lives and stories here in my Branch.

I have joined the Jerusalem Center choir which has been good so far. This morning we met after breakfast and practiced an Easter song from The Messiah that we will sing in an Easter concert sometime this semester. Here at our Branch the choir also sings for the prelude music, that was a different experience but I really liked it. We sang How Gentle God’s Commands, and after really looking at the words and pondering them, that hymn has taken on a whole new meaning to me. It really touched me and made me more appreciative of the loving and gentle nature of our Lord.

The auditorium that we have Sacrament meeting in is absolutely beautiful. The walls are all glass with limestone arches supporting the glass, and when you are sitting in the congregation you have a magnificent view of the Old City. The outside sides of the auditorium are surrounded by gardens of roses and olive trees, so pretty. It is a wonderful experience to look out on the city while I renew my covenants and ponder the life and mission of my Savior Jesus Christ. During the talks, I particularly looked out at the Dome of the Rock and thought about the Abrahamic covenant. We are learning about it in my Old Testament class and I think tomorrow I am going to go to the Dome of the Rock after I read Abraham’s story. The story that I thought about the most was when Abraham attempted to sacrifice his son Isaac. As some may know, the Dome of the Rock is built on the spot where Muslims believe Abraham was going to sacrifice Ishmael, but as we believe it was Isaac. My religion teacher said that the Dome of the Rock is a pretty accurate mark of where those events happened, and I look forward to going there and pondering Abraham’s devotion and obedience to God and think of how I can improve.

I am now continuing this blog from what I wrote this morning...

When we got back from church we waited around our room for a little bit because our relief society presidency was coming around to meet us. After we finally met them we were free to go, and a lot of people met by the doors of the building to make groups to go out into the city. Some people went to the Dome of the Rock, some went to the Garden Tomb, some went to the Garden of Gethsemene, but I went to the Orson Hyde Memorial Park where Orson Hyde said the dedicatory prayer over Jerusalem. We went in a big group; the Orson Hyde park is the only area in Jerusalem where we have to have at least 5 people in our group with at least 1 male. I guess in the past they have had problems with people throwing rocks at girls when they go to the park, but since they've required males to go they haven't had that problem. No one hassled us when we went today, and it was beautiful. It gave us a different view of the city, which was really good. I noticed that Mount Mariah is actually a very high mountain, we were a little confused at first about how high Abraham had to climb because from the center it looks like a hill at most. But it is actually very high.

At dinner I sat with our branch president and his wife along with one of the service couples that works at the center. It was nice getting to know them and they told us a lot about Jerusalem that I didn't know.

After dinner we had some free time and then we had a devotional given by the assistant executive director over the center, Brother Brown. He spoke about Jesus and his ministry and went through Luke chapter 8 and analyzed every part of it. To be honest, it was very boring. I was struggling to stay awake and I was watching the other people and at any given time I saw at least six people sleeping or nodding off. It was funny, I don't think I'll be going to that devotional once again (he gives one like that every Sabbath).

I am exhausted and it is only 7:00 pm in the Holy Land. I think for the rest of the night I will do homework (I haven't done any, I am very behind!) and maybe find some people for a game night or something. Tomorrow we have a free day and like I said earlier in this post, I think I'm going to go to the Dome of the Rock. I also have plans to go to the YMCA in Jerusalem and play the bells in the bell tower with the man who is responsible for that (he is part of the service couples here). But until then, وداع إلى الآن!

**Explanation of the pictures: The first one is a picture of me at the gate of the Orson Hyde Memorial Park. The second picture is of our group reading the dedicatory prayer that Orson Hyde said at that location.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having a lot of awesome learning experiences!! That's awesome Madi!

    ReplyDelete