Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Arab Culture Night

Tonight we had our Arab culture night. We had the father and son who do the call to prayer from the Al Aqsa Mosque come and talk to us. They read from the Koran (which sounds like they're singing the words, but that's not what they would call it. When they read the Koran and when they do the call to prayer it sounds like singing. But it's actually not polite or proper to say 'singing the call to prayer'. Something I learned today!) It's kind of a big deal that these two men came. They have come every semester to the Jerusalem Center but it's really cool because the Al Aqsa Mosque is the third most holy place in Islam, behind only to Mecca and The Dome of the Rock. They also showed us how they pray. It was cool to see the guys behind to what wakes me up every morning!

Praying, facing towards Mecca

We then had a traditional Arab dinner. Delicious! I may or may have not overeaten. But it was really good and there was a lot of new stuff to try.

Arab dinner in the Oasis! Brett, Jill, and me (and Mr. Hayat, the director, showed up a little after)

Everyone busted out their traditional Arab attire for tonight!

After dinner we learned traditional Arab cultural dancing. I was actually late and was only there for the last ten minutes but it was fun while I was there! After dancing when everyone cleared out I stayed behind with a few other people and bounced a volley ball around with the people who taught us how to dance. That was fun. I love that there can be language barriers and such but as soon as you whip out a soccer ball (which is usually the case) or a volley ball all barriers are broken down and we have a blast! The same is with dancing, I love learning the cultural dancing because it puts everyone on mutual ground. So fun!

Look at everyone dancing!

I love the Palestinians and their culture. They are such a devoted and friendly people. I really enjoy spending time with them!

3 comments:

  1. MADI!
    Ah that is so amazing. It reminds me SO MUCH of the time I spent serving in Kazakhstan. I have a video of them calling people to prayer at night... we went to the Mosque one pday and knelt reverently (with my VERY confused new companion) :) on the floor while two women prayed in Arabic and tried to convert us. Goood times. Really, I think learning about that culture was a real highlight of my mission. While it was hard to teach in that environment, I grew to love the people as I understood their culture. Now I'm just mad I didn't come home with a prayer rug.
    AAAH, it makes me homesick for them.
    AND you! :) We miss you here. I blared "party in the USA" in the car yesterday and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we didn't have this night. how cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun night! I'm so insanely jealous right now! My neighbors back home are from Palestinian, and we love them too! They are a wonderful, amazingly kind people!

    ReplyDelete