Monday, March 22, 2010

Galilee Day Seven--March 22, 2010

Today was a really fun day! We had a full day field trip packed with sites and activities.

First we went to see what's called the Ginosaur Boat which is a boat that was found in the '80s from Christ's time. It was bolted together and supported by a metal brace. It was old! I liked seeing it though because before today I always wondered how in the world a storm in the Sea of Galilee could be so bad, but after seeing the boat I realize that a wave over three feet could come into the boat and after a while the boat could easily sink. So now I actually understand the apostle's fear in the storm.



After seeing the Ginosaur bus we went to Mt. Tabor which is the mountain where the transfiguration of Christ was believed to have happened. We sat and read all three accounts story and talked about it. I learned some new things that I never knew before.

After we looked at the church (which everyone said was their favorite and I liked it but it wasn't quite my favorite) we went to a look out point to see the Jezreel Valley. This was the exact spot where the picture in the Bible was taken. There was a team of people doing a documentary where we were. They were also in the church and recorded us when we were singing. So who knows, we could end up in some random documentary!






Jezreel Valley

After that we went to Nain to a synagogue and talked about the story and the significance of the Savior raising the widow's son from the dead. From Nain we went to Bet Alfa and looked at a Mosaic floor. We actually watched a movie about it but I slept through the whole thing so I honestly have no idea what the significance of the floor was.

From there we went to the best part of the day--Gan Ha-Shelosha!! This was an absolutely beautiful place and pools for us to swim in. Absolutely no educational value! So great. The only bad part was that all of the water was so deep and so you got tired swimming in it after a while. But it was really fun and refreshing and I thought it was really nice of our teachers to plan a part of the day for the students just to have fun and relax rather than stand looking at another tel. I'm so sick of tels.





For our last stop we went to Beth Shan which was an ancient Gentile city in Christ's time. Everything was pretty well preserved, it was actually really cool to see. I think everyone would agree that seeing the ancient toilet room was the best thing to see in this city, however. I spent about 30 minutes there taking silly pictures.....so educational. But I bet I remember that better than I would remember any fact about a Tel or a cistern.




When we got back it was the same as pretty much every other night. We ate dinner and then settled down in our rooms to relax. I went to bed and prepared myself for the next busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment