Thursday, March 4, 2010

Islam Final

I just got finished with my Islam final. I'm pretty sure I completely failed it. I know I did. There were several questions where I was straight up making words. There was one question where I couldn't remember how to spell someone's name and I spelt it differently every single time I used it (the name was Zawahiri, by the way. And he was one of the founders, along with Osama Bin Laden, of Al-Qaeda).

But that's not why I feel bad. I feel really guilty about failing it, but not because I think it's going to affect my grade. I have a major guilt complex, what's wrong with me?? My poor teacher had such high hopes that we were going to do well on this test, but as soon as it was put down in front of me I knew that I definitely wouldn't be doing my part in fulfilling that dream of his. My teacher kept insisting that we had two hours to finish the test and to take our time but I really just didn't need the time. The first person to finish was a brave soul, my teacher practically followed him out of the classroom asking him if he was sure that he was finished and that he still had an hour to finish.

The reason I feel guilty is because I wanted to do well and to show what I know (which seriously, I really do get this stuff. I really did study HARD today and understand the concepts) but the questions he was asking I just couldn't answer. Even though I wanted to so badly. The only comfort that I'm finding in this anti-climatic end to this class is that I actually did learn a lot. I would say that I know a lot more than the average American about the conflict in the Middle East and that I follow the history including all of the land partitions and agreements. So even though I completely failed the test, I feel good about coming home with new insights and knowledge about Israel and Palestine. Which is so worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Madi, I'm sure if everyone did poorly, your teacher will realize that it was a difficult exam! It's obvious you've learned so much while you have been there! I'm sorry you are feeling bad about it though. Thinking of you! p.s. Did you hear that Jessica and McRae are both engaged and getting married in May?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said you studied hard today. Did a little cramming?! haha I know what you mean. :)

    Israeli/Palestinian conflict muffin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I've had finals ALL week. Two today. I have been studying allllll week. But it is true that I crammed. I crammed hard core. But isn't that the way studying works nowadays? And Corinne, I'm not too torn up about it, I'm just glad it's done!! I can still pull a B in the class, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha I'm just messin with you Madi!! I'm pretty sure everyone crams, myself included.

    ReplyDelete